Friday, October 14, 2005

One man's trash is another's diamonds


$26,000 Diamond Ring Found In Sewer Remains Unclaimed


DANA POINT, Calif. -- Milton Tobar found treasure in a place he usually finds trash.

The South Coast Water District (SCWD) maintenance worker discovered a diamond ring with an official appraisal of $26,700 in a sewage pipe. The 8-inch pipe runs along a Dana Point street past 29 houses.

No one has claimed the ring, which has a center stone of 2 1/4 karats and a total of 4 karats. It was flushed from the pipe during an annual cleaning more than one year ago.

"We're trying to find the owner, and no one can find the owner," Tobar said, shaking his head. "I can't believe that."

Tobar said he never considered slipping the band on his wife's finger. A spokeswoman for the water district said the ring became property of the SCWD when Tobar made the discovery.

"Right now, because no one has claimed this property, it is our property, and we are putting it up for public auction," said Linda Homscheid of the SCWD.

Based on the setting and the condition of the prongs, a local jeweler said the ring is probably about 10 years old. It is on display at Swiss Connection Jeweler.

The minimum bid is $12,000.

If it sells, Tobar -- a father of two -- will receive 15 percent of the proceeds. He said he would use the money to visit San Salvador and the man who taught him about honesty.

"I want to see my father," Tobar said. "I haven't seen him for about 10 years."

The auction will remain open until Nov. 19. The highest bid will win. Five bids had been received as of Wednesday.

12 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Cape Cod Curmudgeon
This is a bright, sunny day! Forgotten what one looks like? Hopefully we have some coming up.
Hi, I was just blog surfing and found you! If you are interested, go see my clothing related site. It isnt anything special but you may still find something of interest.

12:32 PM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Just thought I'd let you know about a site where you can make over $800 a month in extra income. Go to this site   MAKE MONEY NOW  and put in your zip code..... up will pop several places where you can get paid to secret shop, take surveys, etc.  It's free.  I found several and I live in a small town!

12:32 PM

 
Blogger Andrew Clacy said...

Hi Andrew here,

great blog. How long have you had it? Do you have any
diamonds artciles that I can use or publish on my
diamonds ?
I have some articles if you wish to swap articles that would be
great! Keep up the good work,

Andrew

12:13 PM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Nice post. Check out my site if you can. auto loan refinance

2:15 AM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Nice post. guaranty bank

3:50 PM

 
Blogger Car Loans Home said...

I just came across your blog and wanted to drop you a note telling you how impressed I was with the information you have posted here.
I also have a web site & blog about no credit check car loan
so I know what I'm talking about when I say your site is top-notch! Keep up the great work!

9:37 PM

 
Anonymous An Engagement Ring said...

Mientras que buscaba blogs, encontr� el tuyo. Tengo uno en polymer clay jewelry tambi�n pero no casi tan bueno como el tuyo.Respectfully, Delsie polymer clay jewelry

10:43 AM

 
Blogger Diamonds Center said...

Hi thanks for your blog, I liked it! I also have a blog/site about diamond lake
that covers diamond lake
related stuff. Please feel free to visit.

4:49 PM

 
Blogger Car Loans Home said...

Hey, you have a great blog here! I'm definitely going to bookmark you!

I have a bad credit car loan uk
site/blog. It pretty much covers bad credit car loan uk
related stuff.

Come and check it out if you get time :-)

6:01 PM

 
Anonymous geoff said...

Visit us athttp://diamonds1.us

2:02 PM

 
Anonymous sapphire said...

My wife is looking to upgrade her diamond ring on our 15th anniversarysapphireI'm surprised that time has gone so fast. I'm interested in any help on finding a good ring without losing all value, besides sentimental value, in first ring.sapphire

11:45 PM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

kosmos hentai kosmos hentai kosmos hentai kosmos hentai

This a good link's !
Posted by Admin

12:56 AM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home